Go HowTo 101
Go Practices 101
Go Agg 101
Three new books, Go Optimizations 101,
Go Details & Tips 101
and Go Generics 101
are published now.
It is most cost-effective to buy all of them through this book bundle
in the Leanpub book store.
Firstly, thanks to the whole Go community. An active and responsive community guarantees this book is finished in time.
Specially, I want to give thanks to the following people who helped me understand some implementation details in the official standard compiler and runtime: Keith Randall, Ian Lance Taylor, Axel Wagner, Cuong Manh Le, Michael Pratt, Jan Mercl, Matthew Dempsky, Martin Möhrmann, etc. I'm sorry if I forgot mentioning somebody in above lists. There are so many kind and creative gophers in the Go community that I must have missed out on someone.
I also would like to thank all gophers who ever made influences on the Go 101 book, be it directly or indirectly, intentionally or unintentionally.
Thanks to Olexandr Shalakhin for the permission to use one of the wonderful gopher icon designs as the cover image. And thanks to Renee French for designing the lovely gopher cartoon character.
Thanks to the authors of the following open source software and libraries used in building this book:
Thanks the gophers who ever reported mistakes in this book or made corrections for this book:
The digital versions of this book are available at the following places:
Individual donations via PayPal are also welcome.
Tapir, the author of Go 101, has been on writing the Go 101 series books
and maintaining the go101.org website since 2016 July.
New contents will be continually added to the book and the website from time to time.
Tapir is also an indie game developer.
You can also support Go 101 by playing Tapir's games
(made for both Android and iPhone/iPad):
- About Go Optimizations 101
- Value Parts and Value Sizes (available in the paid ebooks)
- value/type sizes
- memory alignments
- struct padding
- avoid larger copy costs
- Memory Allocations
- Stack and Escape Analysis (available in the paid ebooks)
- escape analysis
- how to control value allocation places
- stacks growth and shrinkage
- how to reduce stack grow times
- Garbage Collection (available in the paid ebooks)
- GC pacer
- how to reduce GC pressure
- control GC frequency
- Structs (available in the paid ebooks)
- Arrays and Slices (available in the paid ebooks)
- String and Byte Slices (available in the paid ebooks)
- BCE (Bound Check Eliminate) (available in the paid ebooks)
- the cases BCE works for
- the cases BCE doesn't work for
- the cases BCE works for when given hints
- Channels (available in the paid ebooks)
- Functions (available in the paid ebooks)
- how to make a function inline-able
- how to make a function not inline-able
- pointer parameters/results vs. non-pointer ones
- named results vs. anonymous ones
- 10+ facts/suggestions
- Interfaces (available in the paid ebooks)
- value boxing costs
- 3+ facts/suggestions